Another week down, only 11 more to go until Miran is full term . . . here’s what his development looks like this week:
• Sometime this week, his eyes will open for the first time.
• Alveoli (air sacks) are rapidly developing in his lungs. By the end of the week, he may even be able to breathe on his own. (He would already be able to breathe with medical intervention.)
• Brainwaves are detectable, which means his mind is actually processing his experiences now.
• He can recognize familiar voices and sounds.
• His sense of touch is now well developed.
• He weighs around 2 lbs. (probably a bit more, based on his weight at 24.5 weeks).
• He measures about 9.5 inches from head to rump, or about 15 inches total from head to toe.
• He is putting on more body fat, and his skin is becoming less red and transparent.
• If born this week, he would have around an 85% chance of survival.
Meanwhile, I am going to try to enjoy my final week of bed rest before returning to work on January 5th.
One year ago today
5 years ago